You care about the health and wellbeing of your horses. That's why you take such great care with them. But despite giving them the best food, care and attention, horses can develop difficult to treat ailments. Left unmanaged, these slowly-progressing but serious ailments can really threaten a horse's quality of life.
Could hemp help your horse with these common horse ailments? Let's take a look at how the best CBD for horses can do just that and explore the safest CBD oils you can only get from Gencanna. As an owner/trainer for 25 years, I am considering it a priority to bring quality products to you that will help our beloved horses.
1. HEMP FOR HORSE JOINT ISSUESInflammation of the joints is not only painful. It interferes with a horse's normal daily activities and significantly reduces quality of life.
The "-itis" simply means inflammation, a natural immune system response to perceived sickness. Inflammation is important to fight infection, but sometimes the immune system goes overboard, causing arthritis. This unfettered inflammation eventually completely destroys the joints.
Studies show that hemp oil may help a horse with joint inflammation in two ways. First, it can reduce that inflammation to avoid further damage. Second, it may reduce the pain levels from the damage that has already occurred. While few studies have been done on horses specifically, they have been done on other vertebrates: Humans, dogs, rats and mice. In each of these, the causes and mechanism for joint inflammation are the same as horses.
A 2018 study on canines found that giving dogs with joint inflammation a single high dose of CBD reduced pain levels and increased normal physical activities with no side effects. Finding the best CBD for horses could help you manage their joint issue symptoms.
2. HEMP FOR HORSE LAMENESSAn estimated 60% of lameness is caused by pain from joint inflammation in horses. Using the best CBD for horses to lower the immune system's inflammatory response may also reduce lameness.
Researchers believe that CBD oils work with the cannabinoid receptors in the body to regulate immune response. This reduces inflammation and the pain associated with it. Safe CBD oils may help restore your horse's ability to walk and even run with less pain.
3. HEMP FOR HORSE BEHAVIORAL PROBLEMSIf you're feeling sad, scared or angry you generally feel better by sharing with a spouse, family member or friend. Horses can't tell you that they're having a bad day or are in pain. Instead, they may act out to communicate.
How could the best CBD for horses help with this? Researchers believe they know. Those cannabinoid receptors we discussed earlier help the body regulate hormones like serotonin. Hemp-derived CBD doesn't cause an altered mental state like other cannabis plants. Instead, by helping the body regulate hormones, it can generate a more balanced mood state. Humans describe it as a general sense of well-being.
4. HEMP FOR HORSE SEPARATION ANXIETYSince hemp can help create a more balanced mood state, it may also help horses who suffer with separation anxiety. CBD doesn't make these horse feel sedated or otherwise "funny-feeling". The safest CBD oils are different from prescription drugs in that they generate a very "normal" feeling.
We can't ask horses how they feel, but humans who regularly use take CBD tinctures daily say they don't feel odd in any way. They simply feel less anxious.
5. HEMP FOR HORSE NERVOUSNESSPerhaps your horse doesn't have separation anxiety but is generally nervous all the time. Hemp may be able to help. Numerous studies support this and other ways the safest CBD oils may help mental states.
For example, researchers found that a regular, consistent daily dose of CBD oil may reverse psychosis.
Psychosis re-wires the brain abnormally, causing an altered sense of reality. Psychosis can manifest as paranoia and general nervousness in horses, humans, dogs and other vertebrates. It's common in rescue horses who may have been mistreated but could occur in any horse.
In this study, researchers compared the brains of those participants using CBD to those who were not. They could physically see that the psychosis wiring in CBD group's brains had reversed itself, returning the brain to normal.
6. HEMP FOR CHEMO SIDE EFFECTS IN HORSESWhether we're talking about chemo in humans, horses, dogs or cats, the side effects are similar. And, for a time, they may actually be worse than the actual disease. These include:
Studies show that hemp may:
CBD helps animals with anxiety about 75% of the time. It is either somewhat or very helpful with chronic pain in about 90% of cases. These statements are based on their own observations and conversations with the owners.
45% of vets say they're comfortable discussing CBD with owners. Veterinarians and veterinary associations overwhelmingly believe that early results are very promising and support more research.
The American Veterinary Medical Association states that CBD may hold therapeutic benefits. But they still strongly discourage association members from actually recommending CBD because studies are ongoing. For this reason, your vet may not mention that some of the safest CBD oils may help your horse unless you initiate the conversation.
It's important to note here that buying CBD from any source may not result in any benefits. CBD is a highly unregulated industry. So currently it's upon you are the guardian of this horse to know how to find the safest CBD oils for your horse.
BEST CBD FOR HORSESThe safest CBD oils for horses come from Gencanna. That's why Bluegrass Bontanic trusts them to provide the best CBD oils for horses.
Gencanna is one of only 13 companies approved by the US Hemp Authority. This organization regulates the safety and quality of CBD products by reviewing the results of testing by 3rd-party labs.
Gencanna gets its hemp from family-owned farms that apply sustainable farming practices so you know you're getting a product that's good for your horses and the environment. Sustainable farming means more nutrient-rich soil and less need for chemical fertilizers.
If you'd like to explore the health benefits of hemp for horses, check out our selection.